Monday, March 23, 2009

High-Waists and a Little DIY

Flouncy, High-Waist Looks Creeping Up Again

High-waisted pants and skirts have dominated the fashion industry for centuries and now they're creeping back!!! To emulate this trend, I incorporated a very simple DIY project to get the look.

Last spring, I bought a creme and brown printed, umpire waist, tank dress from Forever that had brown buttons up the front. Not quite sure how I would wear the dress, it sat in a drawer for several months, but I am excited to inform you that it has now made a comeback this season! At midnight last night, I pulled the dress out and decided it needed some work. Taking some easy steps, I made it into a high-waisted, flouncy skirt!
I cut off top of the dress and the belt loops, keeping the stitching at the waist in tact. I then created front pockets by cutting between the layers of cotton and cleaning up the edges with a
little sewing. Once the dress had made its much-needed-transformation, I paired it with a thick, vintage belt at the waist and experimented with different tops.

My favorite look consisted of a green, v.neck sweater with lots of gold bangles and a long pearl necklace wrapped several times around my neck. The weave on the belt added thick texture against the cotton skirt and the bangles added an element of punk. The long pearl strand, wrapped several times, added dimension and a touch of refinement. **Make sure you pick contemporary accessories when wearing this look! High waists have made appearances through the years, so they need to be kept looking modern w/ contemporary accessories, hair and makeup! **
The second look I tried was more casual and perfect for summer days. To brighten the look, I paired a silk, fuschia, open-neck top with the skirt. The shiny, opaque top layer of the tank added a modern, somewhat flashy, twist to the outfit!

Other looks and inspiration:

2 comments:

  1. stumbled on your blog. Really cool. Come over and say hi to me if you like. Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great spot to find the trends and how they translate!!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete

caITlin